Shopping for Baby

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Beloved Sheepskin Baby Rug

Before Little Bear was born, a friend suggested I order a sheepskin rug for her. I had never heard of using one before with babies and did a little research on the subject. Turns out that sheepskin rugs became popular in the 1970's, then sort of died-off in popularity. Recently, however, they are making a comeback. And for good reasons. Anyone that has ever worn a pair of Ugg boots (or any other brand of lambswool-lined moccasin or shoe) knows how absolutely divine real lambswool is. It keeps your feet warm, yet not sweaty. It wicks away moisture to keep you dry and comfortable. And it is so soft and comfortable! The baby sheepskin rugs work the same way. They are incredibly soft and comfortable for babies to lie on, and help to keep them warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.

I ordered a small one for Little Bear. It was shorn to 3/4" (companies usually offer shorn as well as unshorn rugs) and roughly 34" x 22". I got mine from the Overland Sheep Company off of Amazon.com. If I had it to do over again, I think I would order the unshorn as it would be even more soft and comfortable!

For the first few week of Little Bear's life, we used the sheepskin for laying on during the day. I would often put her on it naked, with a cloth diaper beneath her bottom, and let her have "belly-time" outside in the shade. Now that she is older, I use it for sitting. It makes a much softer landing when she topples backwards or sideways. I am also starting to use it for sleeping. I read that sheepskin is not safe to use during the first few months when the baby is so tiny. The surface is just too soft to be recommended for this use (although I am sure that many cultures all over the world have been doing this safely for thousands of years). Being a hyper-vigilant American, I chose not to use it for sleeping at night. Now that Little Bear is 6 months old, however, I feel perfectly comfortable using it for nighttime sleeping. In fact, it has really made a difference now that Little Bear is in the throws of teething and very uncomfortable at bedtime. I have found that she more easily falls asleep with her sheepskin beneath her!

Caring for a sheepskin rug is easy. They are machine washable. Simply put on "wool-cycle" and use warm (never hot) water. Wash with a mild liquid detergent (never bleach, as it can harm the skin of the rug). The rug may be tumble-dried (never spin dry) on warm/cool. Preferably, it can be dried outside, avoiding direct sunlight. The wool may become curly again. If this occurs, simply brush out with a wire pet-brush until soft and fluffy again. It is recommended to wash sheepskin rugs 1x month. Honestly, that seems to be overdoing it for me. I've been careful not to get it dirty by laying blankets over the top of it, or placing diapers beneath Little Bear if she was on it naked. I say wash it when it is dirty, and not before! =)

All in all, I highly recommend the baby sheepskin rugs. I might invest in one that fits in Little Bear's stroller (like a sleeping bag) to keep her warm in the cold Bend, Oregon weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment