Shopping for Baby

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Swaddling Little Bear

Starting from day one, we swaddled Little Bear at night. Like many other parenting practices, swaddling has come in and out of popularity over the past several decades. When my mother was raising us (back in the early 1980’s), swaddling was a big “no-no.” Parents were told to let their babies be “free” and leave them unwrapped at night and during naps. Somewhere during the past decade or so, that mindset has again switched, and swaddling is once more “en vogue.” While I do enjoy reading about parenting practices and various theories on raising a child, I always try to rely most heavily on what I like to call my “mothering instinct.” Before child psychologists, doctors, and “baby experts” – mothers were able to successfully mother. They didn’t need manuals, books, websites, and monthly visits with a doctor to help them figure out what worked best for their baby. They simply watched, observed, gathered advice from their own mothers, and did what worked best for THEIR baby. Which might have been very different than what was best for their sister’s baby, or friend’s baby, or even their own baby’s sibling.

And so we used trial and error, mixed with my mothering instincts, to figure out what worked best for Little Bear. For us, swaddling was exactly what Little Bear wanted and needed. I have read that swaddling helps mimic the sensation of being in the womb … feeling all wrapped up and cozy. That makes sense to me. I’m not sure if that’s what Little Bear felt, but whatever the sensation, it worked.

I do recommend watching “The Happiest Baby on the Block.” My midwife loaned it to me; you can also
check it out at your library, or order it online. It is short, to the point, and (according to many parents I have spoken to) very helpful. We did not have to use many of the techniques discussed in the DVD, but I did absolutely love the way it demonstrated swaddling. As a nurse, I have been taught various ways to wrap and swaddle a baby. After trying the different ways out, I believe that “The Happiest Baby on the Block” DVD demonstrates the best way. It was the only swaddle that Little Bear could not wriggle her way out of. It stayed snug and secure all night long, didn’t mess around with trying to wrap up her legs, and was easy and simple to learn.

For swaddling, I only use Muslin Swaddling Blankets. They are a little more spendy than other blankets – but well worth the extra money you pay. They are very light weight and can be used in the summer and winter, have just enough stretch to allow a tight swaddle, and can easily be used for a nursing cover, impromptu sun cover over a stroller, etc. I tried swaddling with regular cotton blankets and they simply don’t work as well. Like the Ergo, this is another baby item I highly recommend to those looking for baby shower gifts.

I swaddled Little Bear for 6 ½ months. This is longer than recommended by many pediatricians, but again, I have to trust my mothering instinct. It is often recommended in books and on websites to only swaddle a baby until they can turn over. Little Bear started turning over at 4 months. About this time I started swaddling her with one arm out, one arm in. I also always put a rolled up towel on either side of her, so that she was nice and snug in her cradle. I felt that this would make rolling over much more difficult (if not impossible). I have yet to find Little Bear on her tummy upon awakening. Little Bear is now sleeping without being swaddled, and seems to have adjusted very well to the new arrangement.

Do all babies need or want to be swaddled? I’m almost certain the answer to that would be “no, of course not.” Try it out. Little Bear fought it the first week of her life, then learned to love it. For us, it worked. For others, it may not. Use your mothering (and fathering) instincts and find out what is right for your little one.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you merge your mothering instinct with the information you gather from reading, tradition, and nursing practice. I can't imagine a better combination! You're so right about parenting trends coming in and out of style; what it comes down to is how we can make the best decisions we can for our individual family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie: It was so easy to get caught up in all the literature. The best advice I got from reading was "no two babies are the same ... so do what works for your baby!" I'm an analytical personal by nature, so it has been somewhat of a challenge for me to shut off my analytical mind and let my instincts take over. But 99% of the time, the instincts are what work. Go figure. =)

    ReplyDelete